Saturday, March 7, 2009

Indian night




Well, it finally happened. I managed to cook an Indian dish that tasted "right" and didn't cause us to run from the kitchen and immediately order pizza.




Using a paste from Sukhi brand, I made Chicken Tikka Masala. The Pipsqueak loved it and is looking forward to the leftovers tomorrow. We couldn't find Naan bread so we used pita bread that I heated in the pan and had rice to finish the meal.




Finally- a hit from my daughter's birth heritage. Makes me feel better knowing I can cook at least 1 Indian dish as easily as I can cook German, Japanese, Italian, and Mexican food.




1 comment:

Indiamommy said...

That's nice that you made a good dish. I'll admit that I'm vegetarian, and don't know the first thing about cooking meat, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE Sanjay Thumma's website, and he has many cooking videos on youtube. On youtube just look up vahchef. Otherwise just visit his website by searching Sanjay Thumma. He makes some of the best recipes, and gives details out.

He was living in Chicago, but just got married and moved back to India. He apparently has set up a new studio there, but I haven't seen any of his new videos. I guess he has been "busy".

Otherwise, you may want to try some veg dishes like rice and dal. They are very easy and nutritious. And also, I make lots of soup, and use some of my Indian spices to Indo-nize it. : )

We just had a pinto bean and veggie soup, and I put a ton of chili powder, cumin and corriander powder and a bit of hing and cilantro to finish it off. The kids demolished that soup!