Monday, June 21, 2010

Unemployment extention letter

Here's a copy of a letter I sent to U.S. minority leader Mitch McConnell. I don't expect a response. I don't expect him to "get" my sarcasm or my feelings.

However, it made me feel better writing it and so I'm posting it here because it'll make me feel a tad better too.

Mr. McConnell,
I'd like to thank you for really showing our country the way. Today I'm trying to figure out how to pay my bills without unemployment benefits because you decided not to agree to extending them.

I am a highly qualified unemployed teacher in the state of _____. I have been trying in vain to find employment for an entire year.

I am also a single mother who has moved in with my parents because I can't live in this economy on my own anymore.

I would prefer to stay off of welfare. I was not raised to utilize the government in this way, but I am not going to have a choice if unemployment is not extended.

I am trying to figure out how to pay almost $500 a month in health insurance for myself and my daughter when I have no income anymore. How to help my parents pay for the extra groceries, how to pay for eye exams and dental bills, not to mention car insurance and just everyday costs of living.

What do you suggest I do Senator? There are hundreds of teachers out of work competing with me for jobs.

I am scared. Scared because I see no options. Our jobs have left the country, so we don't have as many students. I don't see the job situation getting better and moving is not what I want to do. My child is established here in school, my family is here, but I may not have a choice. The only problem is... there aren't enough jobs anywhere else in this country either and I'm only certified to teach in two states.

So- again, I'd like to thank you Senator. For not doing the right thing for people like me. For not caring that unemployed Americans vote. We do vote.

Maybe next election you'll become one of the unemployed- but then you still won't have the fear we "regular" people have. After all, you'll have all the perks from your career long after it's over.

Oh and Senator there may not be "Hoovervilles" anymore, but don't be surprised to see "McConnellvilles" coming to your nearest bridge sometime in the near future.

No comments: