Friday, March 28, 2008

Anniversary

Today marks the 6th anniversary of the Pipsqueak coming home. Today also marks the 5th anniversary of the Pipsqueak's adoption becoming finalized. March 28th is a big day in our family. I can't believe my 7 1/2 year old has been home that long.

We celebrated by going out for Indian food. Is there something wrong in that my Indian born child would rather eat American, Mexican, Italian, or Chinese food than Indian? She ate rice, cantaloupe, lettuce, 1/2 a piece of naan, one bite of tandoori chicken, and 2 bites of chicken curry.

My veggie loving kid wouldn't touch the spinich, chickpeas, eggplant, or veggie mix (normally she'd try all of them) due to the sauces they were in. I, on the other hand, enjoyed the restaurant and ate enough Saag Paneer (Spinich w/cheese) for both of us.

The Pipsqueak has always avoided beans and lentils of any type as well as anything of an oatmeal or pudding texture. While other kids adopted at her age (17 months) seemed to enjoy eating familiar foods- she has always avoided anything similiar to what she was fed in the orphange. I hope that as she gets older, she may develop a taste for Indian cuisine.

Looking back on the past 6 years, I can't believe how time has flown. The 25" tall and 17 1/2 lbs toddler has grown into a 50lb/50in little girl. She has gone from speaking only Marathi to baby sign to English with a rapidness that I didn't know possible. She is reading. She is forever writing and creating books. She loves to make up songs and write the music for them.

I have been challenged in ways never imagined by becoming this little girl's mother. There are more challenges to come. Of that I am certain. I will do the best I can with the challenges and love the child all the more.

As the Pipsqueak has taken to saying before leaving a room "I haven't heard an 'I love you Pipsqueak".... It always causes a grin, and yes, "I love you Pipsqueak".

2 comments:

RamblingMother said...

Happy Anniversary. Blessings to you both!!

Beverly

Wendy said...

Happy "Being Home" and Adoption Anniversary!

Some of my kids don't like food from their birth countries, either. I hope it changes as they age. ;-)