Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Let's Pretend

Let's pretend shall we?

Let's pretend that there's a woman who has spent 8 years in a Midwestern senate. She's of mixed race. Seen as black by this country. She has two small children and seems to have a ton of charisma and personality. Would she be your pick for president? Would she have enough experience in your eyes to be able to hold the job?

What about a white man with the same qualifications. Eight years in the senate, seems to be able to hold a crowd. Can give a great speech. Would you want him- with that lack of experience in the white house?

If you answered no- you wouldn't be alone. So why is it that Barak Obama is now the Democratic nominee for president?

Is it because sexism is still more prevalent in this country than we like to believe? Is it because folks were afraid of being called racist if they pointed out Obama's shortfalls?

If a white man or a woman of any race had tried to run with the experience Obama brings, they would have been laughed out of the race before it even began. Why the difference for Obama?

Don't get me wrong- I would like to feel as if the Democrats can clean up the mess left in the white house under the Bush administration. I just don't think the presidential nominee has the experience to get the things done that he can so wonderfully speak of doing.

So, come election time, I'll be one of "those" people that chooses not to vote. I'll choose not to vote because I can not, in good conscious back either presidential candidate.

2 comments:

RamblingMother said...

I think it is a bit of both sexism and racism. The deal with hillary is that we have already had her in the white house through her hubby and I just don't think America wants 'em back. But the lack of experience with obama is down right scary to me!! Taking us back the the jimmeh cahter daze!

Jennefer said...

I was going to vote for Obama, but then I, like you, became disillusioned with him. I have also chosen not to vote. I know it sounds unpatriotic and everything, but I don't feel good about either choice. If only I could see into the future (ha, ha).

I also agree that our country is still very sexist, but there has been an improvement over time, but not nearly where it should be.