Tuesday, October 30, 2007

A Rambling Rant

I am miffed. As in so mad I could spit nails. After struggling for 2+ years as a sub because I moved back to my homestate, I applied (yet again) for a job opening. My grade, a school I loved. I was never even phoned for an interview.

Fine. They hired someone within district.

Except, they didn't. After being told by I don't know how many principals and human resource folks that "we hire off the sub list", "the longer you sub, the more likely you are to get in", I find out today that a first year teacher was hired for the job.

I've taught 6 years in an inner-city environment. My evaluations were always the top, my former principal wrote glowing recommendations.... so why can't I get hired? Because I don't know anyone in the system. I was told, yet again, by another teacher, "it's not what you know, it's who you know". Oh, and this one... 5/6 years- might be too many to hire- you're too expensive.

Too expensive?! An experienced teacher who loves to teach, who hasn't bothered getting her master's yet in order to "not cost too much".... UGH! I feel like Charlie Brown.

The system I'm talking about is the 2nd largest in my state. It has inner-city, low socio-economic, title one schools, etc....This is what I've come from in Texas.

What do I have to do to get a job in this state? Hell, what do I have to do to get an interview?!

I am to the point of giving up. That's right folks, an educator giving up because it's just so damn frustrating to survive like this.

I love teaching. It's where I belong. I just can't do this anymore. Other people's classrooms, promises that aren't kept, not knowing what to do to even get interviewed.

Ideas? I'll take any and all ideas right now because I'm seriously trying to figure out a different career. Problem is- I have no idea what I should do as I love teaching.

Maybe selling home made doggie treats. My dog loves them, maybe it's time to branch out and start an internet business.

4 comments:

Rick said...

We have a doggie bakery in town - it's hard for me to believe that a business like that can survive, but I guess there's a market out there. Still, I would stick with the teaching thing if it's what you love to do.

http://organizeddoodles.blogspot.com/

lisa said...

I am so sorry. I really feel your pain, because my sister just went through this re entering the work force after being a SAHM for 4 years. She loves teaching, and she always lost out to the 1st year teacher, if she got the interview at all. She does have her MA, so she is more expensive-but she finally got hired for this school year, after 2 years of searching. Warm wishes and hoping that two years is the magic time frame. ~lmc

RamblingMother said...

sorry to hear you are having a rough go of it. Can you teach in private schools or do you make more as a sub?

beverly

Kikilia said...

Beverly,

There aren't many private schools around here. However, they wouldn't pay enough to live as a single parent even in a f/t job.