Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Anna Mae Custody update

http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/story?id=4269986&page=1

I just read a news article that said Anna Mae Baker/He has returned to China with her biological family. Seeing as she was born in the U.S. and is a U.S. citizen, I don't know how the press are seeing her as returning to a country she's never been to.

My heart goes out to this little girl. I can't imagine trying to adjust to school life in a country so different than the U.S. Her biological parents have said they want her to go to an international school, but the fact is, they don't have the money to send her to one.

As a U.S. citizen, what will happen to her? Will she be treated differently because of this?

So many questions and an innocent little girl in the middle of the mess.

Here's hoping Anna Mae is able to grow into a productive adult despite her childhood traumas.

EDITED TO ADD:

I just looked at the photos of Anna through the years from the link above... There is one photo that stands out for me. It's of Jack He, her bio siblings, Louise Baker, and her adopted sister Aimee Baker. Anna is on Louise's lap and all body language is clearly indicating where she would like to be. Anna is leaning toward her sister Aimee, leaned into Louise and not even close to being with her biosiblings.

Another photo- this one of Anna on Mrs. He's lap at her 9th bday party at their church. It's so different. Anna isn't relaxed into Mrs. He, rather she's leaning forward onto the table and does not look comfortable at all.

Maybe it's just the way I'm "reading" the pictures, but after reading Anna Mae's answers to news media when she landed in China, my heart breaks for her again. I hope she can adapt to China. However, if she can't adapt, I hope the Hes will do what is best for her.

1 comment:

RamblingMother said...

Nope you would be correct. She isn't as comfortable with the Hes when the Bakers are around.

Beverly