Saturday, February 2, 2008

Read a Banned Book

I've decided that I can do my karma some good by reading a Challenged or banned book. Here's the list of the ALA's top 100 challenged books from 1990- 2000. Read a banned book

Anyway- some of the books on the list such as "How to eat Fried Worms", "The Goosebumps Series", "A Wrinkle in Time", The Judy Blume books, & "James and the Giant Peach" just to name a few really surprised me. I can't for the life of me figure out why "How to Eat Fried Worms" would be challenged.

Looking at the list, I saw that I'd read all the Judy Blume books, The JK Rowling books, The Madeline L'Engle books, as well as the Goosebumps series and "To Kill Mockingbird" which is my favorite book btw. I've read many of the others as well.... I don't think I've suffered for it. In fact, I think it's probably helped keep my love of learning going. They made me question ideas, see beyond what is expected or allowed or believed in right now- after all "what is real?" (anyone know which challenged author wrote that in one of her books?)

I'm thinking some of the folks who challenge these books should a) actually read the books, and b) just don't read them if you don't like them... sheesh. Talk about too much time on your hands.

So I'm off- to read a challenged or banned book over the weekend. After all, I figure that should shift my karma back toward the right direction.

2 comments:

RamblingMother said...

You know these aren't really banned but just not available for library loans. There really isn't anything that is truly banned unless it is not published any longer and totally out of circulation. I mean I guess you do know that. cute pics of the pipsqueek making an ice man.

Beverly

Speaking Up said...

The school board in Burke County, North Carolina is trying to ban THE KITE RUNNER. It's an awesome book. If you haven't read it, you should.